Cancer as a disease brings devastation not only to the patient but to the loved ones too. And it is not just the genes that make one susceptible to it; there are other contributing risk factors, making it completely unpredictable. Over the years, research confirms that even the healthiest of individuals are falling prey to this lethal disease. Hence, the need for cancer insurance plans is evident to mitigate the financial burden of treatment and get comprehensive care to give this disease a tough fight.
What is a Cancer Insurance Plan?
Cancer is one of the deadliest diseases, with a skyrocketing treatment cost. Cancer treatment expenses are so exorbitant that ordinary individuals find it challenging to afford them. A cancer health policy is an insurance plan that allows coverage to the policyholder against this lethal disease. Hence, if the insured individual is diagnosed with cancer, the insurer pays out an amount in a lump sum to get the treatment started.
These plans of health insurance for cancer patients allow high coverage at affordable rates if the insured is diagnosed with the illness during the policy tenure. Most cancer care insurance plans are long-term plans that cover an individual for up to 40 to 50 years.
Eligibility Criteria for Cancer Insurance Plans in India
Below are the basic eligibility criteria for most cancer plans in general:
- Entry age minimum – 18 years
- Entry age maximum – 65 years
- Sum Assured – Ranges from 5 lakhs, 10 lakhs, 20 lakhs, 50 lakhs, 1 crore and 2 crores, etc.
- NCB or No Claim Bonus – Available
- Tax Benefits – Available
Top 5 Cancer Plans in India
Below are some of the best cancer insurance plans available in India in 2023:
HDFC iCan Cancer
18 years and above
4 months of initial waiting period from policy inception
Covers modern treatment
Covers second opinions
Covers follow-up care etc.
Care Cancer Mediclaim
Min. – 5 years
Max. – 50 years
90 days of an initial waiting period
Chemo and radiotherapy cover
Air ambulance cover etc.
Aditya Birla Cancer Secure Insurance
|Min. – 18 years
Max. – 65 years
|90 days of an initial waiting period||
Up to 150% of cancer care cover
No Claim Bonus
Pays in a lump sum
New India Cancer Guard Policy
|Min. – 3 months
Max. – 65 years
SI up to 50 lakhs
Avail cancer care benefit
58 daycare procedures covered etc.
Raheja QBE Cancer Insurance
|Min. – 1 day
Max. – 70 years
|30 days initial waiting period||
SI up to INR 10 lakh available
Diagnostic investigation covered
No exit age feature etc.
Why Do I Need a Cancer Special Insurance Policy?
Cancer is not only the deadliest disease of the present times, but it is a disease with the costliest treatment available. Hence, cancer requires special attention and a special cancer policy. Here are some points which make it essential for everyone to stay covered under a cancer plan.
- A cancer plan allows coverage against cancer of all types and at all stages
- Most cancer policies allow waiver of premium option wherein the insurance premium is waived off if the insured is diagnosed with cancer
- A best cancer insurance plan allows the patient the liberty to choose the preferred hospital and the best doctor to get treatment
- These policies help individuals to get good and expensive treatment without spending much from their pocket
- Most of these policies allow dual benefits of lump sum payment as well as regular income if diagnosed with cancer in the critical stage
Visual Stories by PayBima
Difference between Cancer plans and Critical illness Health Insurance Plans
Here are some key differences between cancer and critical illness plans:
Points of Difference
|The policy offers a lump sum amount to the insured as per the diagnosis of the cancer||
This plan offers a claim amount if diagnosed with a critical illness mentioned under the plan
|Covers cancer of different types||
Covers critical illnesses listed under the plan
|Covers cancer in all stages||
Most plans cover only advanced stages of cancer
|Up to 40 years||
Up to 50 years
Things to Consider Before Buying Cancer Plans
When buying a health insurance plan, you consider some crucial aspects before purchasing. Similarly, while buying a cancer plan, there are specific points to take note of:
1. Consider the CSR or Claim Settlement Ratio:
The first thing to consider is the Claim Settlement Ratio of the insurance company because the CSR indicates the number of claims settled by the insurer from the ones that the company received
2. Consider the terms of Payout:
Each cancer insurance policy might have its unique terms of pay-out depending on the diagnosis stage. Thus, it is important to read the pay-out terms and conditions and choose a plan that suits you best
3. Consider the terms of coverage:
It is also important to consider the terms of coverage of the cancer insurance plans. The plans that offer longer terms are more favorable as they cover you for a longer tenure
4. Consider the Premium to be paid
Another significant thing to consider is your premium. It is crucial to choose plans with pocket-friendly and affordable premiums. Look out for plans offered by renowned insurers that give comprehensive coverage at a reasonable premium price
Benefits of Cancer Insurance Plans
Here are some benefits of investing in a cancer insurance plan:
- These plans cover cancer treatment in all the stages of the illness
- The cancer plans allow the patient to stay stress-free during the tenure of the treatment
- The insured receive a lump sum payment if diagnosed with the disease, which helps them to start the treatment soon
- There are many Cancer health plans allowing premium waiver facilities under which the insurer waives the premium of the plan in case the insured is diagnosed with the disease
- The cancer insurance plans allow tax benefits under the income tax act of India
- Further, these plans come with several benefits such as enhanced sum assured, premium discount, NCB, etc.
All such above-mentioned and other benefits are reasons enough for individuals to buy cancer insurance policies and stay covered under such plans.
Exclusions of Cancer Health Insurance Plans
Since cancer insurance plans are meant explicitly for cancer treatments, they come with specific exclusions such as:
- These plans exclude treatment of congenital conditions
- They exclude coverage against pre-existing diseases
- They exclude treatment of diseases caused by intoxication of alcohol and other such substances
- They exclude treatment of conditions caused by nuclear reactions or chemical and biological contaminations, etc.
Documents Required to Avail Benefits of Cancer Plans
You would be required to submit the below documents to raise a cancer plan claim:
- ID proof
- Age proof
- Medical reports
- Diagnostic reports
- Any other report asked by the insurer
Popular Health Insurance Companies 2023
Health insurance plans offer several benefits to policyholders. Since there is a rise in the number of cancer cases, people need to invest in cancer plans to secure themselves financially against the treatment expenses of the disease. Buy cancer insurance online to get better deals at economical prices.
FAQs: Best Cancer Plans in India
Is an individual eligible to buy a cancer plan after getting diagnosed with cancer?
No. Insurance companies generally do not cover a person who is already diagnosed with cancer. However, it varies from company to company. Hence, you can look for the best cancer coverage plan to get better and enhanced coverage.
Does the beneficiary of a cancer patient receive any sum insured after the death of the patient?
No, there is no death benefit option under cancer plans in general. However, it depends on the insurance company, so you must read the policy document thoroughly.
Is there any LIC cancer cover plan available in India?
Yes, LIC offers coverage against cancer through the LIC Cancer Cover plan, which can be purchased online and offline.
Can I have free cancer treatment in India?
Yes, many government hospitals and medical institutes allow free cancer treatment. One such institute is PGIMER (Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh). This is one of the best institutes for free cancer treatment in India.
Does health insurance cover cancer?
In most cases, regular health insurance plans may or may not cover cancer, depending on the insurance company. However, if you buy a critical insurance plan, you can avail of cancer coverage only at the advanced stage.
However, some specific plans are offered by some insurers like Aviva health insurance that allow Aviva cancer coverage as part of their health package with other core covers.